Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Tribute To Aunt Dolly.

Hi hi,



I hope you are all doing good. I'm wonderful myself. I decided to make chapatis the other night and this is truly a tribute to my aunt Dolly. What can I say about my amazing aunt...she probably was the one who taught me everything I know about cooking. Now that I'm an aunt myself, I just hope I can inspire my lovely nieces as aunt Dolly inspired me.

So here is aunt Dolly's Chapati recipe:

 First, let me explain what chapati is, for anyone who doesn't know. It is pronounced just as it is written as are other Swahili words [chuh-puh-tee]. This is a flat-bread made from whole wheat or all purpose flour (I made half and half), water, a dash of salt and a few tablespoons of oil. It is a staple in South Asia and was introduced to East Africa by the Indian settlers -who call it roti-. Now Chapati has become a staple among the Swahili speaking people of East Africa and is eaten by almost all the tribes in Kenya including my tribe, a tribe called Quest -just kidding-!! I'm from the Meru tribe which is in the Eastern Province.




What to do:

-Mix all the ingredients together to form a firm dough.

-Separate the dough into small portions and roll out into tortilla like discs.

-Oil the discs and roll. (Now this is the part aunt Dolly does it different from others), refrigerate for about an hour.



-Heat a heavy bottomed pan on medium high, using a rolling pin, roll out the small dough portions into discs again and toss in the preheated pan.

-Cook both sides, and using a brush, oil each side of the chapati. 



Happy rolling and thank you for reading.

Sincerely
K.
**********




2 comments :

  1. Wow that looks amazing! Yum! Loving your pictures. Just came over from BBN. Feel free to email me if you have any questions!
    xo
    Caroline@styleontheside.com
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, I'm dying for your blog by the way....I will def email you.

      Delete